First proper details of MW2 have been published in the latest copy of Game Informer Magazine in the US. See a summery below of what has been confirmed:
1) The CoD4 follow-up has you (a new recruit) out to stop the new face of global terrorism, Makarov, an associate of baddie Zakhaev from the first game. Soap, the protagonist from the first game, is back as a veteran soldier NPC.
2) Modern Warfare 2's said to sport a longer single-player campaign with more "open-ended" gameplay then its predecessor - stealth tactics can even be used in missions if the player chooses.
3) The campaign is said to run at a solid 60fps with environment detail bumped up even further than CoD4.
4) Riot Shields, movable turrets and customised weapons for single-player are promised, and responding to criticism of CoD4's infinite enemy respawns, Infinity Ward is looking to stay away from these heavy scripting sequences.
5) Players are now more manoeuvrable too; In the game's ice missions (seen in the footage on this page) players will be able to swim and scale ledges, and the snow mobiles are indeed used as a form of escape.
6) Unlike World at War, co-op will not be available through the game's campaign, though a separate series of co-op missions are planned in "Special Forces mode".
7) Interestingly, Infinity Ward's also planning a "live patching system" for the game's multiplayer, meaning you won't have to download full-blown patches for the sequel.
PLEASE NOTE INFORMATION ABOVE CURTOSY OF ANDY ROBINSON @ WWW.COMPUTERANDVIDEOGAMES.COM