Saturday 28 February 2009

Killzone 2 - First impressions


In a move typical of me I fired Killzone 2 up on Thursday night and headed straight for the multiplayer, or Warzone as its known. I know the single player mode is being touted as amazing but as happened with COD4, my heart lies online. Now, as a diehard Call of Duty player my first thought was, stupidly, 'this isn't Call of Duty!'. To put that into context, the controls have a real weight about them that you simply don't get in COD. Every jump lands with a thump as your character bends his knees and then straightens up. Every turn is slower and more deliberate than we have come to expect in FPS.

At first this is alarming and in the back of my mind I was thinking 'this isn't as good as I had hoped' but after a few hours you realise that it better than expected. The slower controls ground you and it makes you feel like a Helghast soldier rather than just a floating gun. I have found the first 3 hours online hard going because you only begin with the most basic of weapons - an assault rifle from each side and a pistol. It took me 90 minutes to unlock any other weapons but the more you play the more you get rewarded for your efforts. For example, after you complete 8 body count (read TDM) matches with over 10% of the kills you get an increase in points per kill. That in turn lets you rank up quicker and unlock more such as extra grenades, extra ammo, etc.

It is stunning and worth committing a big chunk of your gaming life to. Despite some mild frame rate issues when things get mental I have found no other notable concerns. On top of that the graphics have not been dulled down at all for the online, which is a feat in itself considering how good this thing looks.

If you don't own it yet, BUY IT. If you do, then I will see you on the battlefield. Die ISA Scum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment